Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Who modifies a Ford Taurus? Really?

This Saturday, I'm installing lowering springs and new struts on my buddy's 2000 Ford Taurus. I've already done this on my Sable, so installing on his car should be a breeze, especially since its a southern car with no rust!

When doing this, to get the camber (the difference between the top and bottom of the outside edge of the tire) in the front correct, we need to drill the spot welds for the strut top mounting plate. No big deal, right? Well, it wouldn't be, if I could find some damn spot weld drill bits! A spot weld drill bit looks like a hole saw, but the center drill bit, which really acts as an awl to keep the bit straight, can slide in and out. The outside blades, which actually do the cutting, are replaceable, since you break teeth like crazy. Anywho, when I installed the lowering springs in my car, we broke all the teeth, so no more bits. Now, I can't find a replacement. None of the car parts stores around here have them, and Home Depot is not likely to. If all else fails, we can just use a 3/8" standard drill bit, titanium or carbide, of course, but the problem with that is that the hood does not give much clearance with a long bit...