Tuesday, May 09, 2006

That tattoo of boobs I got back in high school looks all saggy now!

You got a tattoo you want removed?

So people today want to get the Chinese symbols off their body...Really? I thought they looked cool! Just kidding, everyone. Those Chinese symbols embody everything that is wrong about following a fad. Sure, you should get what you want on your body, but Chinese symbols and tribal patterns are fads that came and went. How many people do you know now that are going out to get tribal bands on their arms?

Your buddy here is tattooed. On my right arm, I have the Sacred Heart of Christ, an image that is typically depicted in the center of Christ's chest. It is essentially a heart, with a flame coming out the top. Mine is stylized and has two bands of thorns around it, as well as a crucifix coming out the top. The flames work their way around the crucifix. The tattoo artist who did it, Brody, from Slingin' Ink, in Point Pleasant, NJ, is amazing, and did much of Ryan Dunn's (from Jackass/CKY2K) tattoo work. The color is absolutely amazing...On my left arm, I have a Celtic cross that is wrapped in a trinity knot. On my back, I have three X's, symbolizing the Straight-Edge lifestyle. While I am no longer SxE, I was for over eight years, and it was a huge part of my development as a person. This was my first tattoo, which brings me to tattoo removal.

I have a tattoo that no longer jives with my lifestyle. I do not want to get rid of it, because I like having a tattoo on my upper back. What I am going to do with it is cover it up. I'm planning on getting a mural of a bald eagle (one of our nation's more powerful symbols) clutching an American flag in its talons. This is to symbolize my love for my country, as well as my devotion to it, and the strength that it possesses. In today's society, tattoos have become commonplace. Hell, the woman I wrote about a few posts ago has one. When she dresses more casually on Fridays, you can always see it, like she's showing it off. I try to ignore it as best I can, for obvious reasons. Many other people have tattoos as well. Most you can not see, but because I work with the military, there are many that I can. Some look good, some look bad.

One rule that I set for myself, though, is that I do not want a tattoo that can not be easily covered up. My tats do not extend below my shirt sleeves under normal circumstances, and I refuse to get one that will. I do want to get one on the back of my right calf, but again, its easily covered up there. My sister, on the other hand, has like seven tattoos, several of which are plainly visible if she is wearing normal clothes. This was her choice, but I have a feeling that at some point in the future, she'll be looking for tattoo removal. Rule number 2...Never get something that you don't understand or can't easily prove its meaning. Ashley has Chinese characters on her, and to tell you the truth, I have no idea if they are correct or not. My cousin (female) did the same thing...What happens when they find out that what they thought meant "faith" really meant "schlong" or something? Rule 3: stay away from fads. While some might consider religious and patriotic symbols to be fads, I do not. They are time-tested tattoos and designs that I have no problem wearing on my body. Men (and women) have been wearing them for hundreds of years, they are beautiful, and represent my faith in God and my commitment to my beliefs. Will I be ready for tattoo removal in a few years? Doubtful, as long as I don't get any Chinese characters tattooed on my butt.