Friday, July 21, 2006

Live local music.

Meghan and I went to see a band my buddy Rick is playing with, called Quick Step John. They're a slower, softer rock band, very much the opposite of what I normally listen to. Not that that's a bad thing, really. These guys were very, very talented. The sound and light show that they have set up is absolutely amazing. Their music is pretty mellow, with somewhat of a U2 vibe. The weird part of the band is that there are really only two members. My buddy Rick is playing drums for them, but the "main" members, I would guess, are a guitarist/singer and a keyboardist. When they do live shows, much of the backing band is pre-recorded, so when you hear the bass guitar, you're really hearing something that was laid down in a studio. Pretty nifty, if you ask me. They also have layers upon layers of guitar harmonies and such.

The first band that played last night was called Overlook, and they were a light, Oasis/Radiohead type band. These guys were also extremely talented. I wasn't too impressed by their music, but that's just because, as I said, I don't listen to soft rock. A good rock show for me involves tons of distortion, amps turned up to 11, and hopefully, if I'm lucky, a set of bagpipes. Anywhoooo...

The second band was called Pawnshop Roses, I think. These guys were cool! They reminded me a lot of a Black Crowes/Rolling Stones/Tom Petty mix with some Stevie Ray Vaughn thrown in to taste. The guitar work that these guys did was just amazing. Great rhythm riffs and awesome solos. And dude, the singer had mutton chops. That's just plain cool.

The show was at the Grape Street Pub in Manayunk, PA, and was hosted by WMMR, a kick ass Philadelphia rock station. We had a great time, but I'm definitely paying for it this morning. I am tired as hell! Daddy needs some sleep!