Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Blogging at work.

I was over at Lil' Toni's site earlier, watching the three videos she had posted of Acidman's interview on his local Fox affiliate, about being forced into early retirement because he posted some things about a coworker on his blog.

It got me to thinking...I've said some things on here about people I work with...maybe a few I shouldn't have. Should I now, knowing what I saw in those videos, go back and erase or edit what I said months ago? I'm not sure.

It begs the question of whether or not what you write on the internet is truely anonymous. I mean, everyone on the internet is logged in some way. IP addresses can easily trace a physical computer, and if you know anything about the TCP/IP stack and how the internet works, you truely understand that nothing, and I mean nothing is ever really anonymous. Even with IP spoofing programs, there's always a way to track IP addresses and determine what someone's real address is. From there, its a very short hop to determine where they are located. But I digress.

The point of my post is whether or not I should, or anyone should, worry about what they post on he internet. Sure, its written and stored. There are copies of this on dozens of servers, probably on tape backups that will sit in a storage facility for years to come. Should anyone really be completely forthcoming on the internet? Do you really want someone to be able to bring up something you said ten years earlier?

Imagine this...Bane decides he wants to run for office. Let's just say he could get the funding to wage an effective campaign, and get the nod from whatever party he wanted. What would happen when someone read his blog and tied it to him? He'd be lambasted in the msm as a racist, homophobe, bigot, sexist, facist, etc, etc, etc. So why would someone put themselves out there like they do?

I mean, I know that I'm holding back when I write. I realize that something, somewhere, will come back to bite me in the ass. All I need is the wrong person reading this (not that anyone really does) and I'm up the proverbial creek.

Anyway, I really admire writers that can put themselves out there completely and not hold anything back. I hope that some of the people that do so don't end up being screwed by family and friends, like LL has, or by their company, like Acidman was.